Thursday, March 24, 2011

Why?

I live in the 21st Century. I have a microwave and access to the Internet. Do I need to leave my room? Can I tell you what the latest news update is on the tragedy in Japan? What is the population of Tuvalu? Do I know about the politics of Uganda? How many acres of the Amazon will disappear by the time I finish posting this? Why is there this Colonial proverb: "You will always be lucky if you know how to make friends with strange cats."? Just how interdependent are the economies of the world? What will happen to the workers in my state if the new Super WalMart doesn't open up a quarter of a mile from the Blue Ridge Parkway? Why is there a Communist Theme Park in Lithuania? What do I know about Operation Enduring Freedom? Why does copper make fireworks blue? Why is it that I can correctly spell and name all of the original 150 Pokemon in a game of Sporcle but I cannot tell you when or how to grow a carrot? Can I file my taxes by myself? Was Carlos V correct when he said that English is the language of business, German the language of horses and war, French the language of love, Italian the language of music and birds, and Spanish the language of God? ... Just some questions to think about I suppose. After all, it's not like I'm going to leave my room when I have the Internet. EXCUSES.  =^. .^=

4 comments:

  1. Until, of course, you need to use the bathroom.

    Other than that, although you still maintain the capability of communicating and gathering information through the Internet, the virtual community is not a sufficient substitute for real-life experience. Nonetheless, browsing albums of skydiving kittens makes for pretty entertaining afternoons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the Internet cannot replace the real world. Yet with everyone else around you becoming more drawn into the virtual world/fantasy, it makes it more difficult to engage in real world interaction if there quality of real world engagement is lower. I know that there will always be people who lose themselves in the virtual world and those who remain in the real world, but is it possible to do both?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried to file my own taxes for the past 3 years. I still don't know what I'm doing so don't feel bad about that part. I'm still convinced the IRS is going to come audit me for trying to deduct more than I actually spent. And seriously? Communist theme park? What are the rides like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. By theme park they mean a whole collection of memorabilia. Much easier to explain if you just watch the video. Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/user/journeymanpictures#p/search/3/5RJMod6iKoI

    ReplyDelete