Thursday, March 31, 2011

Guatemala : After

My trip to Guatemala taught me many practical things such as how to travel smartly in a foreign country and to be more confident in my ability to speak in Spanish. More importantly however, Guatemala taught me the value of direct cultural immersion, the new points of view and understanding about the world and its people that one can learn, and a richness and appreciation for the uniqueness of a culture that can be so different and so similar to my own. This trip affected me because it let me see just how much I thought I knew about the world. It opened my eyes just that bit more to what life has to offer for me and for everyone who is wiling to simply lose themselves so that they can find themselves, better than they were before =^. .^=

4 comments:

  1. I find it quite interesting that you have traveled to this country. I had a few questions in mind that I feel that you have been answering them in your other posts. But I think that it is fascinating that you've chosen to do this, because I can see where your experiences abroad have shaped your view of the world and yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it. Cultural immersion is key to truly understanding and appreciating a culture. Also when you learn about another culture you look at your own culture differently and it helps you understand your own culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem to have a lot of experience traveling abroad. Any pragmatic tips (other than keep an open mind, etc.) for those of us who've rarely left the States?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My best tip to give travelers is to always be active when you're in someplace new. In Cuba, I stayed up during the siestas to walk around and simply enjoy being in a different place. By doing this you're bound to discover a whole new set/level of experiences you wouldn't have found else wise!

    ReplyDelete